Registration boards


Registration is a requirement in order to practice in New Zealand. Please check with the relevant registration authority for your profession on what is needed, including documentation and requirements for additional tests, such as an English language test (even if you’re from an English speaking country).

If you have any questions please contact our Global Mobility Team.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Question - What is the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003 and how does it affect me?
The Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003 applies to all health practitioners.

This act established separate Regulatory Authorities to enact the legislation for each group of health practitioners. For most groups this is their corresponding registration council.

Each regulatory authority works within the same regulatory framework to protect the health and safety of members of the public by providing mechanisms to ensure that health practitioners are competent and fit to practise in their profession.

This will affect all health care professionals trained outside New Zealand as their qualifications have to meet the standards as set my their corresponding registration board.

If you are unable to meet the registration board's standards then you will not be able to practice in your profession in New Zealand.

Question - What professional groups do not require registration?
There are only two professional groups which do not require registration to work in New Zealand. The Social Workers Registration Board has voluntary membership. However Waitematā DHB prefers potential candidates to volunteer and gain membership with the Social Workers Board.

There is no Speech Language Therapist Board in New Zealand, however there is an association to which membership is required by all potential candidates by our health board.

Aside from these two professional groups, all other groups must have professional registration to practice, either applied for under The Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 or Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003.

Question - What is the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 and how does it affect me?
The Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 applies only to health practitioners who are registered and or professionally trained in Australia. Each registration board is able to register Australian health care professionals only for certain states. Each registration board recognises different states so variation applies.

To confirm that the state you trained in is accepted by your profession please refer to their website or to our unofficial flow diagram of your professional board registration process. The benefit of applying for your registration under the TTMRA is that it is quicker to register under this agreement than under the HPCA.